Tuesday 7 February 2012

J.Edgar (actual review!)

OK, so today I saw J.Edgar as part of this short course I'm doing at the CAE, and I thought I might share some of my thoughts on what I thought about it... And I will try and do this for the rest of the films I have to go see. So, for 6 weeks or so, expect to see some proper reviews, not just the shitty lists you're used to!

Anway, on with the review!



So, let me make it clear that I didn't really want to watch this film. It's ok, but it looked very samey for a biopic, even if it is Clint Eastwood. And my not very high expectations were met. It was pretty much what I thought it would be. It presented some of the higlights of the life of J. Edgar Hoover, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), but like most biographical movies, the events in his life seemed to be presented in a more romantic light, rather than factual. I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert on this man, but that is what it seemed like.

The difference between this film and most other biopics about notorious government officials, is that in this the audience seemed to be asked to make up their own mind about Hoover and his ruthlessness to get what he wanted. By the end of the film, there were a few points that I wanted to furthere research. The problem is that the film focused on the private life of Hoover, which would've been fine if his private life was ... private. What I knew about Hoover was just confirmed in this film, and I found I had no intrigue into his personal life, at least in the parts they showed. Also, a lot of the time there were many melodramatic moments at crucial parts that were meant to be taken seriously, and it might just be because I'm naturally cynical, but I was almost laughing at some of the 'heartbreaking/warming' scenes. For example, right after Edgar and Clyde's fight in the hotel room when Edgar whispers "I love you" I found incredibly over the top. I would've laughed, but I don't think the old ladies in front of me would've appreciated it.

But the over the top moments were nothing compared to the technical failings. The lighting was so dark at times, that some of the actors faces were completely covered, making the lights look clumsy.
Also, during the 'action' scenes (if you could call them, it was usually Leo running around with a gun in his hand) the shaky cam was so nauseating. It looked as though someone had given one of the actors the camera while they were still in the scene! Either that or the camera guy was on steroids.

The acting was fine, and its no wonder why everyone is saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio 's movie. But for me, the one who kept the whole thing together was Naomi Watts. Her role as Helen Gandy was understated, diginified and even though her role wasn't big, it was almost vital to the film. The other actors were good, especially Armie Hammer as Clyde Tolson and Judi Dench as Hoover's mother (with whom he had a very strong and almost creepy attachment to). The thing is though, when it flashed forward and we saw the old versions of each character, the make up was so fake!! Like, obvioously fake! Especially on poor Clyde. He looked like something out of a horror film!



The other shortcoming of the film was the length. It was too long. It really didn't need to be as long as it was. At times, I found my mind drifting because it took such a long time for one thing to happen. In the end, there was too much time taken to tell not much at all. Also, the flashbacks were more interesting than the 'present day' scenes, but they felt almost rushed over. The use of narration and the various writers as a frame worked well, but I think it would've been better if we followed a more linear retelling of Hoover's life.

In the end, this was fairly standard biopic fair. It wasn't bad, except for a few technical difficulties. The sepia looking colours make this visually stunning, but my cynical nature got in the way of me fully enjoying this film. The acting was good, though the script was cliched at times. I'd recommend for those who are intensley intersted in J. Edgar Hoover. Or a die hard Eastwood fan.


Fun Fact: Clint Eastwood wrote the music. It was actually pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment