Wednesday 30 May 2012

Questions Raised During "Nine to Five"


So, the Careless Love review which I promised at the end of the last blog will be coming, but I feel really shit this week, and so I don't think that I can be bothered to finish it. It may come out over the weekend, hopefully. And this is basically what went through my mind while watching the 1980 movie Nine to Five, or 9 to 5 depending on how much you can be bothered to type. So, this film is kinda funny and it's kinda stupid and it's kinda good. It's not bad, and actually kinda fun. Kinda. But there were some things that just sort of don't make sense to me. Or that I was confused by. I may look pretty stupid by the end of this. It's also in no real order, except the order in which they come into my head as I write this.


1. Couldn't the whole plot be over if Dolly Parton's character filed a sexual harassment suit against Dabney Coleman's character?


No, hear me out. I did a bit of reserach, and sexual harassment has been around since 1973-ish, but it wasn't really known about until the 90s. Even so, the bastard was firing people (mainly women, I don't think any of the male characters actually fired on screen) for no reason, or idiotic reasons. Anyone in his office could've made claim to some sort of harassment, but no! We had to watch a silly series of events whereby he gets locked in his own house by 3 of his employers! Anyway, back to the point, if everyone was so upset by him that he wasn't handing in good enough results, or just average results, then surely they could've gone to the big boss and complained. The proof is that when he was gone, there was a better workplace environment and better results. Anyway, I think this is my brain wishing for a slightly more serious comedy, instead of the frivolous romanticized, almost male fantasy-esque dream of gender equality.



2. (During Lily Tomlin's fantasy) That seems to be some top class animation going to waste. I wonder who animated it?


Ok, so for those who haven't seen the film, the three leading ladies get baked one night and tell each other the different ways in which they woud get rid of their boss (even the most legal way would be the best). Lily Tomlin's fantasy goes extra Disney as she imagines herself to be a loyal princess type thing complete with forest animals. Animated forest animals, that are very cutesy. But I can't find out who did the animation! And it's gorgeous! Of course, I could watch the film again, or fast-forward to the credits to find out, but if the internet doesn't know, then I'm guessing the film doesn't want us to know...

3. No one goes into his office for 6 weeks... ?


I know we aren't meant to take this film seriously, but honestly! The boss was hated so much that no one wanted to see him in his office for 6 weeks! Surely someone could've told the big boss that he was hated that much. Gah!

4. (With regards to Elizabeth Wilson's character) Can this woman get a life!


This isn't really a question. I just hate these sorts of characters that purely serve a stupid as purpose with no real character development apart from their bitchiness and stupidity. Stupid characters really piss me off, in case you haven't noticed.

5. Why couldn't we see the epilogues?


Seriously! The epilogues look a lot more interesting than half of the stuff we saw in the film! How did Dolly Parton's character become a country singer? (Oh, was that a joke. I didn't see it there behind the groaning) How does Dabney Coleman get lost and possibly eaten in the Amazonian jungle? Who is this Xerox representative that Jane Fonda goes off with? *Sigh* I guess that's what fanfics are for, but who would want to fanfic this.

6. What was their name?


You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned a single characters name. I can't remember any of them, only the actors. I don't know what that says about the power of the script or how endearing each character was, you can make up your own minds about that. But forgetting a characters name and only remembering they were in the film because of the person playing them... that can't be good!

and finally

7. That was Jane Fonda!?


I've only seen Jane Fonda in Barbarella. She doesn't look anything like Barbarella in this film. I didn't recognise her with clothes on.





So, this was stupid, but I had fun. Nine to Five isn't bad, I just expected something a little more realistic and less annoyingly stupid. (I think 'stupid' is the most used adjective in this review. Sorry for that.) So, I should hopefully have Careless Love out soon, I've almost finished the draft. Until then, keep your powder dry!

1 comment:

  1. It's a brilliant film that shows the blatant sexism that was rampant then (some would argue still happening). Given your comment "I didn't recognize her with her clothes on" truly speaks to how far we still have to go. Jane has a huge filmography to her credit, and you reduce her to one, sexist remark. Clearly, we still have a way to go.

    ReplyDelete