Sunday 6 January 2013

Best films of 2012 - Non-mainstream Edition

Yes! The last list for last year! Yeah, I could've probably just made one list, but there were a lot of films that I thought needed to be recognised that wouldn't have gotten a mention otherwise. I will say this now, this list is made up more of favourites rather than straight up good movies, though in my slightly biased eyes, I consider all of these to be good movies. Feel free to disagree if you like.

So, firstly non-mainstream as defined by me is any film that released either through one cinema or they came out through a festival. Of course some festival films may have been (or about to be) released nationally. I'm still counting them on this list, since it's a list of films I saw last year, and that to me includes any festival films. Anyway, now that that's out fo the way, let's get into the last list for last year!

10. Berberian Sound Studio


I didn't see any other horror movies this year, and I know you'd be stretching to call this an outright horror movie. It's more like a psychological thriller. But whatever, this is definitely one of the most original ideas for a film I've seen in a while. Toby Jones stars as Gilderoy, an unassuming English sound engineer who is hired to do sound for an Italian giallo film (films from the likes of Dario Argento and ... others) the violent nature of which begins to take his toll on him as Gilderoy becomes more and more paranoid. But what's so original about that? Well, we never see any of the film, we just hear all the sound effects that accompany it, leaving the audience to wonder what is actually going on in the movie. I won't lie, this is slow. But the film builds well with Gideroy's silent mental breakdown, and the tension builds with it. It's not for everyone, but it is haunting and memorable in its execution.

9. I Wish


This is a very cute film. And considering how many films had exceptional child actors this year, the Maeda brothers did a very good job at standing out from the crowd with very realistic characters. This is quite a simple story, but it's one of those films where the plot isn't important. It's the characters that shape the plot that is the main focus. Kore-eda is one of the most respected Japanese directors, and sadly is not well known within mainstream Western culture. Most people have told me that his previous film with children, Nobody Knows, is the better film, and one day I will check it out. But right now, this film, with it's whimsical and hopeful feeling, is one of my favourite for the year.

8. Iron Sky


If you don't know the premise for this film, I have two words for you. Moon Nazis. Yep. This is an alternate reality dieselpunk movie, answering the question 'what if Hitler sent Nazis to the moon?' And American did not like this one. My friend first brought my attention to this, and I am so glad he did. I know a lot of people don't like this film, and I can kinda see why. It is very critical of American politics (going to far as to compare the rampant patriotism present in America today to the Third Reich), and it is a lot darker than you think it will be. But then why is it on here? Well, partly because of what the creators managed to do with such a small budget (and I'm going by todays standards). Most of the money for the film was donated by fans who wanted to see it, and it's incredible what they managed to, especially since most of it was green screen. Gonna tell you now, you won't notice it's green screen. In all honesty, it reminds of the old 50s sci-fi movies that had ridiculously long titles. And it plays out like that, though I can say that the plot took me by surprise. And there's a strong female lead. Bonus! If you go to watch it with an open mind, then it is rewarding, and I consider it to be one of the most underrated movies of 2012.

7. Ghost Graduation


Yes, I know I raved about this recently but I really do love this film. It takes tired tropes and gives them new life, possibly because this wasn't a Hollywood film. Think about it, if this was made in Hollywood, I would be able to have guessed the plot from the first ten minutes. And while some thigns were obvious, they done in a different way from what I thought they would be done. The best way to describe this film is refreshing. And you rarely get a film like that anymore. Now, if only I could find a copy of it...

6. Last Dance


Okay, now we're getting to the serious stuff. I doubt any of you have even heard of this film, it was only released through Nova after premiering at the MIFF. And even then, it wasn't at the Nova for long. But this film... I can't even put it into words. This film blew me away. I suppose a bit of plot might help. Well, a Muslim man takes an old Jewsih woman hostage after a botched terrorist operation. The film is basically their interactions and how they try to understand each others situation and their different views. It's that sort of set-up that made me want to see the film. Also the fact that it's set in Melbourne, not my side of Melbourne, but it is nice to see familiar looking buildings and trains and all that. This is a very touching movie. A little sentimental at times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It builds slowly but with good pacing and good performances from Julia Blake and Firass Dirani as the two leads. Another one I will be waiting desperately for the DVD for.

5. God Bless America


Because one movie criticising modern American society wasn't enough. But while Iron Sky focused on America's questionable politics, God Bless America shows us how America's shallow capitalism and obsession on celebrity has turned the country into a cultural wasteland. Reality television has taking over normal conversation, TV and radio is filled with crude that tries to shock you into laughing, when in actual fact they are sexist, racist or just downright offensive. The plot is pretty awesome, a middle-aged man loses everything and becomes dissatisfied with his life, so he decides to go around and kill all the people he thinks are idiots or just rude and undeserving to be allowed to live. Joining him is a teenage girl who has slightly more ideal and left-wing views on who they should or shouldn't kill. There is quite a bit of violence, and it is as dark as Iron Sky, but it's the conversations between the two characters that really sell the film. And it is relieving to see a film by an American that brings up all the problems in his society.

4. Le Tableau


I really wish that this had gotten a bigger release than just the MIFF last year. This is a glorious film, and if you love animation then you really need to see this. People seem to forget that the French do create some truly exceptional animation. They are up there with the Japanese in what they have been able to do in terms of CGI animation. But what I really like about this film is that it's a perfect blend of amazing visuals and obvious messages for children, and a deeper look into life for adults. I won't say it's the perfect family film, it's a little too serious and dark at times for that, but for an older kid who likes animation and art, this is brilliant. Another one I've been looking everywhere for on DVD, and still haven't been able to find. But I will! One day, I will.

3. Tyrannosaur


I think I've already said all I could about this film. And I don't mean that in a bad way. There are times when I still think about this film and tears will come to my eyes. It did make me cry more than any other film, and there was only 91 minutes of it. I think I said this in my review but if you have only seen Olivia Colman in comedic roles, then you need to see her in this. She is incredible. And this film will forever make me wary of Eddi Marsan. But at the same time, only see this if you think you can take it. It is not a pretty film. I hope that Paddy Considine does direct some more films, being an actor he knows how to direct actors. Though I don't know if I'd be able to take anything this hear breaking.

2. ParaNorman


THIS IS BEING RELEASED IN AUSTRALIA ON THURSDAY!! GUESS WHO'S GOING TO SEE AT LEAST TWO MORE TIMES!! Sorry, but I'm so excited and more than a little annoyed it took about 6 months before it's national release in Australia. Especially since the lead voice actor is Kodi Smit-McPee. Anyway, there's already been a lot of hype and Oscar buzz about this film already in the States, and it's also been appearing on a lot of 'best of' lists. I have also heard some criticism towards it, stating that it is just another loner kid makes good movie, but while it's sort of just that, it's a lot more. Norman isn't the only character that goes through a journey in this film, all of the other characters grow in some way. That makes it different to your average outcast movie. Also, there are zombies.

1. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia


Watching this movie is like your eyes having a multiple orgasm. And even then that would be an understatement. There's just so much here, and not just in visuals. The characters, who we never get any more than a description for a name, all bond in a strange way, having been brought together through the death of a man. The man charged with murder barely says anything, yet all the guilt he feels is on his face for the entirety of the film. Really, you want to know why this is so good? See the film. Nothing I say can prepare how awesome this film actually is.

At last, we are finished. Time to put 2012 behind and look into what 2013 will bring. There are a few films I'm looking forward, and some I'm not. I probably won't be doing the CAE course, as I will be starting uni this year, which will take up most of my time. I also won't be going to see as many movies in the cinemas. Though hopefully I will still be able to put up a review now and then. But that isn't until March, so until then readers, expect some new stuff. Happy late new years, enjoy your time in 2013 and live long and prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment