Tuesday 31 January 2017

Top 20 Films of 2016 Part 1

I kind liked doing a massive list last year, so this year I decided to do it again. But with more films. And even then, half the films I wanted to put on here didn't make it. As I type, I'm still deliberating about whether or not I should try and slip some more on...

But since they can't all be here, I would like to briefly mention The Handmaiden, Nocturnal Animals, Julieta, Moana, Elle, The Neon Demon, Swiss Army Man, Men & Chicken, and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. These are films that for whatever reason I really liked but just didn't quite make it onto this list. I eagerly await all angry comments.

So, last year was kinda terrible but there were still some excellent movies to be seen. Here are the first ten of twenty that I loved! Some might be surprising, some won't be. Some you might not have heard of. But all of them moved me in some way. Some I cried the whole way through, some were just brilliantly enjoyable.

This intro is getting too long now. Bring on the films!

20. Ouija: Origin of Evil


At last, a good horror film from 2016! And given that I couldn't even finish the first movie, it's amazing that this sequel got onto my best-of list. This film is just (strange as it may sound) a fun scary movie. It's not going to break any molds or challenge you intensely, but it will give some genuine scares, and it explores some interesting ideas about possession and religion. If you want something scary that's an enjoyable watch, then this is definitely what I would recommend.

19. A Bigger Splash


So, I'm not the biggest fan of French New Wave films. But if there is one director out of the New Wave movement that I love, that would be Claude Chabrol. I find his films create intensity out of the most ordinary circumstances, he creates tension out of normalcy. Watching The Bigger Splash reminded me so much of watching one of his films. I was gripped while watching these characters interact with each other, and through all the unspoken there was an undercurrent of menace throughout the narrative. And the cast! Such an amazing cast. Tilda Swinton as a Bowie-esque rock star and Matthias Schoenaerts as her lover have great chemistry and really ground the film. But Ralph Fiennes as Swinton's ex-husband really steals the show! A down to earth psychological drama, with an excellent soundtrack! What's not to love!

18. Girl Asleep


This film is simply enchanting! About a teenage girl trying to fit into her new school, while her parents throw her a 15th birthday party against her will in the first half, this film becomes a strange psychedelic Alice in Wonderland type adventure in the second half. And it's set in 70s Australia. I mean, I feel like this film was made for me! The design of this film is so interesting, so un-Hollywood, it just feels like a new sort of film. And it's really funny! An adorable coming of age story that I fell in love with!

17. Ghostbusters & Deadpool


I couldn't really keep either of these films off the list, so the obvious solution is to tie them together! I think these two films were the most anticipated blockbusters of the year, except for maybe Rogue One. To me, they are just really good popcorn flicks! I know some people will disagree with Ghostbusters being on this list, but I had such fun watching that film. From Chris Hemsworth being as ditzy as he could be, to Kate McKinnon stealing everyone's heart and the film, to the token African-American character actually having a proper part to play in the tea, I really can't fault the film Paul Feig made. It was hilarious on its own, while also being respectful of the original. What more could you want?

Deadpool on the other hand was just pure diluted insanity. The film was definitely helped by its MA rating. Without restrictions on it, it went as violent and crude as it could go without alienating its audience. Also, it was so progressive for having a female character who was a sex worker, but not discriminated against for her profession, and when she was in a precarious situation she didn't just sit and wait for the hero to save her. She actually kicked some ass herself! And of course she was played Morena Baccarin. Deadpool was just awesome! Best superhero movie of the year!

16. The Big Short


Just to get a little controversial for a moment, I think this film should have won best picture at the Oscars this year. Mainly because it was the most cinematic film that came out. What I mean by that is it used techniques that can only be realised through the cinematic genre to create a film about the 2008 financial crisis that actually makes sense to the general public. And they also managed to make it both funny and sentimental at the same time? That's quite an achievement! This is also probably the first film where I actually was impressed by Ryan Gosling(no, I haven't seen Drive). He can be really funny when given the right material. Anyway, The Big Short is intelligent without being indecipherable (looking at you, Margin Call), and funny while also having heart.

15. Hello My Name is Doris


Sometimes, you just need a quirky indie comedy starring Sally Fields. This film is the definition of adorable. Sally Fields plays a middle-aged woman named Doris who gets a crush on a young man at her work, and through that begins to step outside her comfort and embrace the modern world. And it's so sweet! Doris is so lovely, and has such awesome fashion sense. The soundtrack is also good, especially if you like indie alternative. Just a lovely little film that stole my heart, and hopefully will steal yours too!

14. La La Land


I have to admit that the hype surrounding this film has diminished it slightly in my mind. Originally it was much higher up on the list, but since the release of the Oscar nominations it has dropped. But I can definitely see why people are in love with this film. It's a musical that pays homage to the classic musicals of the 1950s while also being something new. And through it's celebration of creative ambitions, I totally understand why so many filmmakers and actors and reviewers would be moved by this film. I think it's very cute, the music is good, the acting is good. It's a simple love story set against the backdrop of trying to make it in a world where that is almost impossible nowadays. And it ends with a Gene Kelly inspired dance number, so I kinda have to love it for that!

13. The Fencer


This was one of the rare films I went to see with my dad, and we both agreed afterwards that it was very excellent. The Fencer centre's on Estonia just after the Second World War, when the USSR controlled pretty much all of Eastern Europe. A young man arrives in a small Estonian town and begins a fencing club for the kids. I think what makes this film so different is the fact that it's about a country that is not usually portrayed in films. Estonia is a place I would love to visit one day, and I always try and go see films that are set there. The other thing The Fencer manages to achieve is to mix historical drama with sports movie tropes in a way that is very un-Hollywood. It stands out as a simple story about a man trying to move on after a great tragedy, amidst a continent that is also trying to do the same.

12. Under the Shadow


This film has been called the Iranian Babadook. I can see why. A mother is tormented by a supernatural being while trying to look after a child who she has difficulty connecting with. However, unlike The Babadook, this takes place in Tehran in 1980s when the city was under constant bombing. The historical and political background makes this film a very tense horror film. We never really see the creature, and there is a very strong possibility that this is all happening in the characters heads, which adds to the scariness of the film. It's also fascinating to experience horror through a different culture, and makes this a really unique film!

11. Mustang


Speaking of different cultures. This is a very depressing film. Think The Virgin Suicides except more realistic and set in modern day Turkey. The struggles that the main girls go through in this film are examples of girls have to go through right now. But the sisters resolve and resilience is so admirable and brave, despite not all of them finding happiness in the end. I really hope more people see this film, and understand that the issues raised are issues that are relevant to right now. And hopefully it will inspire more people to action.

Sorry it has taken so long to get this list out. The top 10 will be out a lot sooner... Hopefully! Until next time, readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment