Friday 30 March 2012

Margin Call


 How this film got nominated for best original screenplay I will never know? I know it's bad to start a review with the biggest flaw of the film without any backstory, but when the worst aspect of the film is one of the most important aspects, there isn't much you can do. So, I am just going to go right ahead and say it. This film is indecipherable. To put it more bluntly, the script is shit!

For those who don't know, this film was based on the events surrounding the most recent stock market crash, but the writer, instead of providing any sort of clear explanation as to what caused the crash, instead expects the audience to know every minute detail surrounding what happened and fills the film with financial techno-babble, that everyone who isn't an accountant has no idea what the hell is going on for 2 hours. So, what is meant to be a probing and intellectually interesting account of what started the recession becomes a finance version of Primer. 


So, can you see my problem? I can't tell you what happened in the film because I only have a vague idea of it myself. I can't even remember the characters names, only the actors who played them. In fact, that was the only reason I went to see the film, because the cast list was so amazing! And the acting was good, given the pile of crap they were told to memorize. I'm sorry, this is going to become a rant in the end. But this film could've been so much more! Anyway, the film begins with Stanley Tucci getting fired and giving Zachary Quinto a USB stick with .... something bad on it? All I know is that everyone gets slightly frustrated with it. (I know the film is rated MA for swearing but after watching In the Thick of It, nothing can really compare) Anyway, Paul Bettany gets worried and stands on top of a building, Demi Moore does impossible sums in her head and actually does a good job in her role, Jeremy Irons hams it up and has the best speech in the whole film and Kevin Spacey gets depressed about his dead dog. Thats about all I remember.

I should probably say that I did see this about a week ago so I can't remember things exactly. But one thing I do remember is the reaction that the whole audience had at the end of the film. So, what happened was that Kevin Spacey's dog died and he was so depressed about it that he went to his ex-wife's house to bury him. Don't ask. Anyway, after a little conversation the film just cuts to black with the sound of Spacey still digging the hole for his dog. Symbolic much. More like pretentious. Sorry, anyway, the entire audience just went "Oh", and slowly started walking out of the cinema in a big cloud of disappointment. When a film has that sort of reaction from the majority of the audience (I'm not a mind reader, someone may have liked it) you know there is something bad with it. 


And this brings me to the other main problem with the film. There is no pacing. I'm not saying the pacing is bad, or rushed or slow. There is no pacing whatsoever. The film ambles along at a sublime pace unaware of everyone is meant to be rushing around and panicking. Because of the no pacing, there is no real sense of urgency and so we don't feel that the problem is as big as it was. Add to that the fact that we don't really know what's going on in the first place, and the film becomes the worst thing a film can become; BORING. But also frustrating. This film could've been so much more, but instead ambles into oblivious. And dies.

Not even the cast can save it, however impressive they are. There are some good moments, and as I said early, Jeremy Irons has one of the best speeches I have heard. but without clarity and without tension, this film becomes annoying and dull. I'm repeating myself now, so I will say goodnight. Maybe if you know about what actually happened then you may enjoy this more, but this is more like one financial conversation after another, that one who is not as savvy in accountant-y ways can neither comprehend nor even give a rats arse about.



No comments:

Post a Comment