Monday 18 June 2012

Anton Chekhov's The Duel & End of Term List


(sigh) This film wasn't good. But it wasn't bad. It merely was. It exists, and it is there. But, at the same time, if it didn't exist nothing would be lost. This film is simply competent. It's nicely acted, it's nicely shot, it nicely costumed. It's nice to look at. But there is no intensity, no spark, no fire, no heart.

Just to go into more detail about everything, the performances are watchable but not exceptional. The characters are downright loathsome, especially the main character (whose name escapes me, everyones name escaped me) who you are meant to sympathise with. But even then, they aren't so bad as to get a response from me other than they didn't send me to sleep. The scenery is actually pretty beautiful, but so much so that it outshines the cast. As does the music, which is some of the best film music I've heard this year.


If you hadn't guessed yet, I don't want to spend too much time on this film, hence why I'm not going into too much detail. From what little I can remember from the plot, it seems this film was try to capture the tone of the novella it was based on, while forgetting that what works well in a book, won't translate into a film. In the end, this film is just boring, forgettable, and kinda nice to look at.

But now we've got that out of the way, it's time to rank the films that I saw this term! From worst to best, with little side notes about what really stood out from each of them.

8. Dark Shadows - Worst Make-Up Effects Since Twilight

 

7. The Duel - Mediocrity's Finest Accomplishment



6. Wish You Were Here - Most Frustrating Ending



5. Trishna - Best Use of Whistling



4. Careless Love - Least Amount of Naughty Bits Shown in a Film About Prostitution



3. The Woman in the Fifth - Most Confusing Film of the Year (so far)



2. Footnote - Best Mix of Comedy and Heart-ache


1. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - Too many "Oh my fucking god! That is beautiful!" shots in one movie, that it gives you an orgasm



Anyway, that's it for this term. I'll hopefully keep doing these blogs. I've got a couple of lists planned, and a couple more list movies I want to talk about, as well as some upcoming movies. And I'll probably be doing the course again next term. So, I hope I haven't bored you internet, cause I'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment