Wednesday 15 January 2014

Best Films of 2013 - Mainstream Edition

As usual, I saw too many good films this year to just make one list. And because I see a range of movies from arthouse to action, again I am splitting the year into mainstream and non-mainstream. I just think that if a film has impressed me a lot, then it should be recognised in a list of some sort. And if I've left off a film that you liked, there are three reasons for this. 1; it hasn't been released in Australia yet, 2; I haven't seen it or 3; I didn't like enough as the movies on this list.

And just to remind everyone, I consider mainstream movies to be films that were released through more than one cinema. So even if the film was only released through Palace and Nova, I'm counting it as mainstream. There may be a few inconsistencies between the lists, because I've forgotten what was exclusive or whatever. But I figure that no one will really mind. Anyway, let's begin!

10. About Time


Goddamn these little British movies and their sentiment! Always making me cry! I'm sure everyone else in the cinema is annoyed at me crying all the time. Anyway, this is apparently Richard Curtis' final film, as either a writer or a director. And I think it's the best note to leave on. This is a film about Tim (Domhnall Gleeson) who is told by his father (Bill Nighy) that the men in their family possess the ability to travel through time. Tim uses this to better his life, marry his dream girl, Mary (Rachel McAdams) and live as much as he can. There isn't much plot, rather a series of episodes that show different scenarios in Tim's life and how time travel effects that. But I don't mind that. This is a small film about the small things in life, and I think it's the perfect way for Curtis to say goodbye.

9. Warm Bodies


Oh, I was exited for this one. I even read the book beforehand! Zombies are my favourite supernatural/horror creature, mainly because they haven't yet been done to death like other such creatures, and so I'm always interested when something different appears in the zombie sub-genre. This film reminds me a lot of Fido (which is possibly my favourite zombie film), they're both about life after the zombie apocalypse and how humans and zombies interact. The biggest difference though is that Warm Bodies is from the perspective of the zombies themselves. I just find it really interesting. It's also a good adaptation, with some things done better than the book (namely the climax), but I think I like it mainly because it's nice to see a film about the apocalypse that isn't bleak. And Nicholas Hoult is kinda attractive as well.

8. The Best Offer


This film had me at Geoffrey Rush and Donald Sutherland. Jim Sturgess was just the cherry on the cake. So, it's nice to see a thriller actually take it slow for once. This film builds nicely to climax that while some might see it coming, it is still entertaining and heartbreaking thanks to Geoffrey Rush's performance of art auctioneer Virgil Oldman. The mansion where most of the film is set is beautiful, and the cinematography is fairly spectacular throughout. I just really liked this film, it may not be the best, it may not be the most original, but I think it's gorgeous to watch and it did hold my attention for the whole 2 hours. And it has Geoffrey Rush. And Donald Sutherland.

7. Gravity


Looking back, this wasn't the great film that everyone is saying that it was. And yet at the same time it is. Let me try and explain myself. The major problem with this film is the plot, it gets a little convoluted and then abruptly ends. But if you suspend your disbelief and just go with it, then this is one of the most rewarding films of the year. Well, for me it was. And I think it's because of the acting and the choice of actor. Sandra Bullock is one of my favourite actresses, and I think it's a shame that she hasn't been getting good roles for a few years. So on one hand it was excellent to see her in something that gives her a lot to work with. But the real reason I like this film so much is that for 90 minutes we are basically watching one woman and her struggles. And she isn't being all badass like Ripley, no. She is vulnerable and almost gives up numerous times. But she succeeds, and I think in a world with "Blurred Lines", we need more movies like this, with more female characters like her.

6. Trance


Speaking of strong female characters and actresses who frequently get not good roles. I suppose you could say I am a Danny Boyle fan, I've liked all the films of his I've seen so far. And despite some rather gruesome moments at the beginning, this is a really good psychological thriller. It kept me guessing right up until the end, after multiple twists and turns. The three leads, James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel and Rosario Dawson, are all excellent, but I think extra praise has to go to Dawson, whose character and motivations I just love. I don't want to say too much, because it's better to go into this knowing the bare minimum, but it is one of the best and darkest thrillers of the year.

5. Goddess


I was seriously considering putting this on the most underrated list, because it seemed like all anyone could remember about this film was that the girl on the poster looked like Nigella Lawson. But I enjoyed this film too much. Again, like Austenland, this film if just pure fun. And a film that entertains is worth more to me than all the fancy cinematography, full-proof script and A-lister actors. This is a charming, little musical with a great lead in Laura Michelle Kelly, and to top if off, Magda Szubanski is in it in a role that finally allows her the dignity she deserves. And the musical numbers are really good. So, yeah, I put this little Aussie flick above Gravity and Trance and all of them simply because I had fun while watching this film. And I hope everyone else who sees this movie has fun too.

4. Stoker


This film is absolutely gorgeous! The sets, costumes and cinematography all come together to create a beautiful background for one the most interesting films from last year. Mia Wasikowska does an excellent job playing the strangely cold India Stoker, a girl who has to deal with the death of her father and the sudden appearance of her oddly sinister uncle Charlie (Matthew Goode), whom she didn't know existed until now. Again, I don't want to say too much, but this film has images that will haunt you after you leave the cinema. The nods to Alfred Hitckcock's Shadow of a Doubt is also a nice addition that will benefit repeated viewings. If you like horror, or anything vaguely gothic, then I would definitely recommend this.

3. Pacific Rim


This really was the surprise hit of the year. Looking at the trailer, it really doesn't give away how good this film actually is, especially given the premise. But an action movie that has character development, excellent action sequences and a kick-ass female role, this film becomes more groundbreaking the more I think about it. I don't really know what else to say that hasn't already been said by a thousand other reviewers. This is one of the best action movies of the past few years, and definitely the best of this year.

2. The World's End


Oh yeah, there was no way this wasn't going to end up on my list. What a way to end the triology! There are about 3 different films crammed into this, one right after the other. But the writing and editing are so good that the transitions between the different parts are so smooth. I love the comedic trio of Ed Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and Hot Fuzz is one of my favourite films of all time. The World's End had big shoes to fill, but this tale of the most epic pub crawl gone wrong is excellent on all levels. I may have let my fangirl go a little crazy putting this so high on the list, but I don't care. It deserves it!

1. Philomena


My dad once said that he has never seen Judi Dench give a bad performance. This is no different. This is also the best thing I have ever seen Steve Coogan do. The fact that he co-wrote the script is astounding. This film works so well because there is no right or wrong, there is no bad guy. Instead we just get s fairly simple film about a mother who was forced to give up her son, the repercussions it had for her and her journey to finding him. And it's the simple telling of the events that makes it so good and makes it easy for the audience to connect with the film. When I first saw this film (I saw it twice, I liked it that much), there was a moment in the film when the entire audience gasped, and I'm fairly sure that I wasn't the only one with wet eyes by the end of the film. If you haven't seen it yet, then I suggest you do! My favourite and what I consider the best mainstream film of 2014.

Well, sorry that this took so long. If you live in Melbourne, then you can probably guess why I haven't been wanting to write anything. This has been a pretty standout year for genre films. I could easily justify putting other films like Patrick and The Conjuring on this list. Anyway, I hope the heat is getting to everyone else like it's getting to me. Until next time, with the last list for last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment