Sunday 5 January 2014

Most Underrated Movies of 2013

I forgot to add to the disclaimer to the start of the previous list that all the films mentioned in this list are films that were released to Australian cinemas this year. So some of the films that turn up, may have been released in 2012 or even 2011, but because Australia is apparently so far away we didn't get them until last year.

Anyway, if you hadn't guessed it, the films featured on this list are just a few that I think were criticised and ignored despite how good they are (or at least how good I think they are). Some of you may disagree with me, to which I say "So?" I just wanted to share some more films that I enjoyed that wouldn't fit on my other two lists, and that no one else thought was good.And anyway, there's only five of them. So, on with the list.


5. I'm So Excited


This new Pedro Almodovar was the opening night film for MIFF, and it met with a resounding 'meh'. And I can kinda see why, it's not as strong a farce as his earlier films, and comes as quite a clash after a film like The Skin I Live In. But I had so much fun watching this. It might've been because I saw the last session at the Rivoli, and I was the only person in the cinema. It was one of the greatest experiences of my cinema going life! The freedom of an empty cinema is something that I recommend everyone experience at least once in their life. As for the film, if you just go with the craziness and randomness of what happens then it offers a lot more enjoyment. Besides, it has the best musical moment of last year! If you're an Almodovar fan, or even just a fan of fun sex romps, then I would definitely recommend this.

4. Hansel and Gretel, Witch Hunters


I'm not going to lie, when I first about that this was being made, I was so excited! It looked so silly and so fun. I wasn't disappointed, but apparently a lot of other people were. All I can say is, what were you expecting? It's called Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters! Anyone who was expecting anything more than what we got was deluded from the beginning. I'm actually surprised we got something that made sense, had good leads, an overacting villain and a good helping of gore. But if that doesn't grab you, then I guess our tastes are too different.

3. Anna Karenina


The use of a theatre to show how the characters have to put on an act to survive the society that they live in divided many people who saw this film. But I put this to you; if the film had just been your average period drama, without the theatrical element, then would people actually remember it? By setting the film partly in a theatre, it not only adds some symbolism that Tolstoy would've approved of, but it elevates the film above the normal period dramas that we get. I just think it's a lot more interesting. I also really love the music, and the costumes. And I think that it's one of Keira Knightley's better roles. It's not for everyone, but give it a chance, you'll find it better than people might think.

2. Kon-Tiki


No one saw this film! It was nominated for an Oscar and no one went to see it! I can sort of see why, it does look like it's just about a bunch of Scandinavians (and a few others) getting hairier on a raft in the middle of the sea. But there's so much more! I think I like this film because I saw it just at the right time, in the middle of my archaeology course. But the other reason I like this film so much is that it's real, it's about a real expedition, a real archaeologist. I'm not against Indiana Jones, but he is more of an antiquarian than an archaeologist. And I think there are many other people out there that should be more in the mind of the general public and just aren't. So I'm glad that Thor Heyerdahl at least got a movie, and I hope more people see it and find out about him.

1. Austenland


You know what. Fuck you all. This film should've gotten a more mainstream release. I saw this glorious comedy two times in about two weeks, and I am not ashamed. Much like I'm So Excited this was one of the most fun films of the year. And it's still on at Nova! I reckon if this did get a more mainstream release, then this would've been one of the most popular films of the year. Okay, the plot is predictable, the acting isn't the best and there are a few plot holes. But I don't care!! This film was fun, and sometimes that's all you want! So do yourself a favour if you haven't seen this, GO AND SEE THIS FILM!!

So, yeah. That's it for the most underrated. I'm going to try and write up another list this week, but not promises. Until next time, readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment