Thursday 14 August 2014

MIFF 2014: Life After Beth


Zombie comedies is my favourite sub-genre of horror films. So naturally, when I heard that one was on offer at MIFF, I got excited. And when I saw the title, I got more excited and also got some tickets. And last night, I got to see this little indie comedy.

The film revolves around Zach Orfman (Dane DeHaan), who is still mourning the loss of his girlfriend Beth Slocum (Aubrey Plaza), when she suddenly comes back to life with no memories of her death. Despite being initially freaked out, Zach and Beth resume their relationship. However, Zach soon realises that the newly alive Beth is not the same Beth that he used to know. And just maybe, the zombie apocalypse is also happening.


So, the thing with comedy is that it is subjective from one person to the next. What one person finds funny, someone else won't. Me, personally, I don't like films in general where characters shout over the top of each other in an attempt to be realistic (looking at you, David O. Russell). Life After Beth unfortunately does this. I just don't see why you would have everyone talking at once when you're comedy is based predominantly on dialogue. If you can't hear the dialogue, then you can't hear the jokes! This was the one big flaw of the film for me, but I do understand that it is also a personal pet peeve. If you like films like that, well done! You will probably enjoy this one.

Anyway, moving on after that rant, what are the good things in Life After Beth? Well, for starters the cast is amazing! Especially Dane DeHaan and Aubrey Plaza. I see both of them becoming big stars in the future. And if they don't, then the world is crazy! Other actors that should be mentioned include Matthew Gray Gubler as Zach's older, trigger-happy brother Kyle, John C. Reily as Beth's overprotective father who can't understand that his daughter is turning into a monster, and Anna Kendrick, who has a small role as a parody of those girls that One Direction sing about. The rest of the cast is made up (presumably) well-known American comedy actors that I haven't really heard of.


I do have to say that despite my rant earlier, this is a very funny film. Which is good, because there really is not a lot of plot, but because the action of the film is made up the characters reactions to situations I can overlook that. The fact that the zombie apocalypse is treated in such an upper-middle class manner makes the jokes more interesting and funny than if everyone's reaction was based in reality. And there are some really funny moments dealing with the zombies themselves and how they are deteriorating. The way zombies are treated themselves is pretty interesting, as they come back normal, but become more aggressive and violent the longer they stay.

All in all, the new way of dealing with zombies and the mix of very American, suburban humour makes Life After Beth a really good film. Aubrey Plaza is awesome, and any flaws in the plot is made up for with the acting. If you like zombie comedies, or genre films in general, or indie films, then I would recommend this one. Until next time, readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment