Friday 22 January 2016

Top 15 Films of 2015 (Part 2)

Well, I did have every intention of getting this out earlier, but some personal shit got in the way and I ended up lying on the sofa crying for the past two days. Not that that's important, just thought you should know.

Anyway, let's get on with part 2!

10. Birdman


I think Michael Keaton became one of my favourite actors because of this film. His performance is  excellent, as a B-movie actor who is trying to reclaim lost fame. But then everyone is this film is really excellent. Of course, the way it's shot is also interesting, and it helps highlight the backstage politics of the theatre while also seamlessly moving from scene to scene. But what I really like about this film is the many different ways in which it can be read and analysed, and I am so happy that such a strange film became Best Picture at last years Oscar's, especially against such high quality competition.

9. Love & Mercy


I don't think many people saw this film, which is a shame cause it's so good! Even if you're not the biggest fan of the Beach Boys, Love & Mercy is able to tell it's story without alienating it's audience. I also really like the way this film is structured, and how it talks about two periods of great importance in Brian Wilson's life, the creation of the Pet Sounds album in the 60s and his persecution under Eugene Landy in the 80s. Paul Dano and John Cusack both give fantastic performances of a vulnerable man pushed to breaking point, with Paul Giamatti and Elizabeth Banks giving excellent supporting roles. As a biopic for one of musics greatest genius', you can't get any better than this.

8. The BĂ©lier Family


So, fun story. I thought I'd missed this film, because the release date changed from April to Boxing Day down in Australia. I'm so glad I didn't! This is just a fun feel good film, that despite it's flaws, made me laugh and cry. Focusing on a teenage girl who is the only one of her family who isn't deaf, this coming of age story is a little weird in it's premise and a little heavy handed in it's execution, but I just loved it all the same. I think this has a lot to do with Louane Emera as Paula, a girl who is reluctant to leave her family and pursue a career in singing. There's something so awkward and un-Hollywood about her performance that it makes it feel real. And you know what, sometimes you just need a feel good film with some good singing.

7. Amy


Knowing what happened to Amy Winehouse only makes this documentary all the more heartbreaking. Because it could all have been prevented if she had the right support system. This was an interesting documentary, not only in what it told about Winehouse, but also how it was put together. I know that previously the director had made Senna using the same technique of solely using overlay and archival footage while interviews where played, but I haven't seen that. Yet. I also get the criticisms that this film garnered about how it focused on Amy's drug and alcohol abuse rather than her music, but I think that by knowing the extent of that abuse it makes her music now all the more poignant. By showing us what happened to Amy, we better understand her and her music, and how this tragedy came to be.

6. 99 Homes


Another film that is vastly underrated and more people need to see, about a man so desperate to save his family home that he will do anything to make money, even if it means working with the man who evicted him in the first place. I talk a lot about acting in these little synopsis', but I'm gonna stick my head and say right hear that the acting in 99 Homes is the most realistic that you will see all year. The fact that Andrew Garfield was not nominated for an Oscar is criminal. And this coming from someone who hadn't really been impressed by Garfield until seeing this film. Coming from a director who isn't afraid to show how reality destroys the American Dream, 99 Homes will have you on the edge of your seat as you watch our protagonist sink further and further. Michael Shannon is also great, and I am so excited to see him in Elvis and Nixon which will hopefully come out later this year. One of the best underrated films of the last year!

So, this part was kinda dominated by films about music. Believe me, I didn't plan that at all! Anyway, assuming nothing unforeseen happens (again!), I will get the final part out as soon as possible! Until next time readers, keep your powder dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment