Tuesday 12 January 2016

Worst Films of 2015

I hope that everyone is keeping cool on this ridiculously hot day. I thought that since I'm already annoyed by the heat, today might be a good day to get this list out of the way. And maybe my ranting will give someone a little chuckle while we try to survive this heat wave.

So, I did not see that many films last years mainly due to time constraints and personal shit going on in my life. Because of that, I was pretty selective about what I went to see. That's why there are only four films on this list. But it also means that the films that are on this list really pissed me off. Like these films aren't just bad, these films offended me on a deep personal level! I'll get into more detail with every film, and I'll try not to get too emotional. I'm not making any promises though.

4. Paper Planes


I love Aussie films. I will always try and go see them in the cinemas, because I want to support the Australian Film Industry. This film, though. Nothing could be gained by watching this film that you couldn't get from the trailer. The acting was phoned in from David Wenham and Sam Worthington, the plot was cliched as hell, and I felt nothing while watching it. It was just boring! And when you see so many excellent films, during a year, being boring is the worst thing you could be.

3. Pan


So, I did do a full review of this film where I said that I was undecided about whether or not I thought this film was good. I guess you can figure out how I made my mind up. If you want to know about my thoughts, then you can read my review here. But the reason it ended up on this list is because after thinking about it, I feel like this film just has no respect for the source material. And this is coming from someone who will defend the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland and the Maleficent movie. This film was just confused, in the worst way possible. I haven't even begun to write about the weirdly racist casting that happened, and it hurts my mind to even think about it. At least Tim Burton was just a little too enthusiastic in his adaptation!

2. Pitch Perfect 2


Dear Hollywood. When you create a musical comedy and want to make a sequel, I suggest that you actually put some musical numbers in it. It's also a good idea to not change characters personalities without any real reason, and why would add new characters when there are some that we haven't had the chance to get to know yet? While some people might disagree, it's generally not a good idea to make your villains more interesting and funny than the protagonists, it makes the audience want to root for the bad guys. And speaking of comedy, crude humour is very hard to make universally funny. Maybe you should study up on it before attempting it again. But most of all, Hollywood, you do not create one of the best and most positive plus size character since Tracy Turnblad only to fat shame her within the first five minutes of your shit pile of a sequel!

1. Knight of Cups


I doubt anyone has heard of this film, let alone seen it. Why would I put this indie art-house, Terence Malick film as the worst film I saw this year? Because to me this was the biggest waste of time of the year! After I left the cinema, it felt like I had wasted 2 hours of my life. This film was a boring mess. Things happened seemingly at random, and I can usually get behind that. But the film had this narration that was trying to be deep and meaningful, but none of it sunk in. It just washed over me in blur of boredom. Not even Christian Bale knew what was going on. And you can tell. So, for putting me almost to sleep, and making me wish that I hadn't wasted my time with this messy pile of pretentious waffle.

So, there we are. Not many bad films this year. And if people are wondering why Jupiter Ascending isn't on this list, let's just say it didn't make me as mad as these films did!

No comments:

Post a Comment